Our team has over 10 years of collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to straight forward licensing.
We have three members of the team who may work on your matter. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Steven Porter, who is the Partner in charge of our commercial department.
When businesses apply for a new premises license or vary a premises licence to allow those premises to be used for one or more licensable activities, the fee cannot always be in the form of a fixed fee.
An average or range of costs can be provided instead. A normal range of costs are:
- Simple application: £750–£1,000 plus VAT and disbursements
- Disbursements are not likely to exceed £500 but the application fee to the local authority varies between £100 and £1,905 depending on the rateable value of the property.
The fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and advising you as to how you can promote the licensing objectives within your application.
- Advising you as the type of plans you are required to submit with your application.
- Completing the application form for a new premises license (including the operating schedule) in accordance with your instructions and submitting this to the local licensing authority alongside suitable plans.
- Providing guidance on the fee levels payable to the licensing authority.
- Preparing copies of the premises license application for disclosure to the responsible authorities and serving copies of the application on the responsible authorities.
- Drafting the notices advertising the premises license application and submitting the notice to the local newspaper.
- Arranging with you for you to display the notice(s) advertising the premises license application and advising as to where and how this should be done by you in order to comply with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
- Providing a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) consent form for signature by a personal license holder proposed by yourself.
- Checking the licence once granted and correcting any errors with the licensing authority.
The fee does not include:
- Obtaining suitable plans.
- Attending pre-consultation meetings with the Licensing Authority or Responsible Authorities, nor their fee for this meeting.
- Dealing with or advising you in relation to queries or representations received from either the responsible authorities or other interested parties.
- Advising on varying the license.
- If representations are received and attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee is required then we will provide a separate fee estimate for this work which will be charged at an hourly rate.
How long will my application take?
Matters usually take 4–8 weeks from receipt of full instructions from you. This is on the basis of the application being relatively straightforward and you being able to provide all the necessary documents promptly. If your matter is more complex, for example, if there is substantial opposition from interested parties, or if there is a delay in receiving the documents we need, it may take longer.